Save the Tiger Quarterly Report (Q2 2007-08)
1. Fundraising: Thanks to your generous support, we have raised over 50,000 rupees in the last three months.
2. Appointments: As planned, a Conservation Officer & two community officers have been appointed at Tadoba-Andhari Tiger Reserve (TATR). Satpuda Foundation (SF) has also set up a field office in Moharli to support the team.
3. Resettlement Assistance: TATR field staff are assisting resettled villages from TATR viz. Botezari and Kolasa. Villagers are facing plenty of problems at the new site as this is their first year at the new place. SF is working towards resolving these issues with the help of district administration. SF has also provided monetary help to villagers for ploughing their lands. Rs.4 Lakhs has been distributed to 116 families resettled at Tolewahi through Wildlife Conservation Trust.
4. TATR Socio-Economic Survey: SF has launched a socio-economic survey of 11 villages on the periphery of the Tadoba-Andhari Tiger Reserve (TATR) as part of this community conservation programme. The house-to-house survey to establish a database on the social and economic conditions of villagers living near the Reserve was started. The database will provide the inputs for the SF to undertake capacity-building workshops through its Employment Cell unit and to address development issues faced by the villagers.
5. Good News: And the icing on the cake, a Tigress has been reported to have given birth to two cubs in TATR. The conservationists, however, have had no hand in it :D
Many thanks to all those who helped us make this happen, I would request or rather urge all those who linked, contributed and supported this cause to link this report as an update.